Tuesday, September 27, 2005

Calm in the Moment

I was sitting here tonight feeding Holden his bedtime bottle and not giving a second thought to him, but giving many second thoughts to everything else I need to get done. I wish I could just be calm in the moment and stay focused on just the one thing I am doing. My husband seems to do this so well. Maybe he is not, since I can't read his mind, but it just seems so. I am sure there are ways or even books that tell you how to do this effectively, but I am not sure they would help! I really need to work on just enjoying the moment that I am in and not worrying about what I am going to get done in the next. I enjoy Holden taking his bottle and just staring up at me until he drifts off into a peaceful sleep. What could be sweeter?! I need to enjoy that while turning everything else off around me, including the TV. Another example is talking on the phone to a friend and doing other things like reading my emails. I guess I don't want to waste a second. This is also a problem for me in my prayer time. I begin my prayers and before I know it I am making a grocery list or a to do list for the following day. Why is it so hard to turn it all off and just focus? I, at least, learned a trick from my friend Robin about praying which is to concentrate on the image of Jesus in my mind when I need to stay focused. This has helped my prayers, but now I need to work on every other time I am trying to multi-task at a time that needs to be only single tasked! This is my new prayer: learning to be calm in the moment!

4 comments:

holdenon said...

Apparently Jennifer Aniston talked about this subject on Oprah, I am told. She said YOGA helps her! Maybe I should try YOGA!

Addie said...

Have you heard the phrase "Men are like waffles and women are like spaghetti."? That's my excuse that we're not able to focus on one thing at a time. We're always multi-tasking.

I like the tip for prayer, thanks for passing that on.

Shelley said...

Well, I hope it helps to know you are not alone. I could have written this post. I know how you must be feeling.

Don't know if you have a place to get away from it all, but I find that taking my family back to where I grew up where there isn't Internet access helps me to stay in the moment.

Kristie Vinson said...

Hey--I understand. Once Abbie wakes up for her middle of night feeding, it's all I can do to go back to sleep because my mind says, "Time to get up???" I have struggled for 26 years learning how to calm my mind. Just as Beth Moore says: it's part of the fruit of the spirit (self-control). Buliding up walls to fortify our minds. When we begin to break down the wall, we allow Satan in to do damage and then we have to stack those walls back up and begin damage control. It's a constant thing: asking God to help you focus so you don't miss a moment!